Friday, September 7, 2007

And the award for most pompous emo band goes to...

When I started thinking about this blog, I was going to break format and give MTV some credit. I changed my mind. As the Video Music Awards are fast approaching, it got me to think how much our lives depended on the modern popular music and associated music videos. Our generation was exposed to film-like music videos from bands as diverse as the Beastie Boys, Guns N Roses, Peter Gabriel, The Smashing Pumpkins and Bjork. It’s my generation’s general opinion that MTV doesn’t even show music videos anymore, and concentrates on its advertising cows such as their prime-time reality shows. I give MTV credit though, for turning the 80s and 90s into a new playground where music was able to be consumed visually as well as audibly. I certainly wouldn’t be the person that I am now without MTV in my childhood and teenage years.

Who’s to say that MTV’s departure from a music-only format is a bad thing? After all, the music video generation is grown and has moved on to smarter forms of afternoon and evening television entertainment. Just like MTV was fitting for our generation, but, not so good for us now…so have sitcoms, dramas and cartoons went through their life cycle, for reasons including their fan-base growing up or getting sick of it. The list is endless, but I can almost guarantee that Pearl Jam’s “Jeremy” video, an episode of “Night Court”, an episode of "L.A. Law" and an episode of "Thundercats" (without Snarf of course) can still entertain us in ways that many modern shows cannot. You see, we’ve aged ourselves out of the modern MTV demographic, and that’s not the thing that I find Highly Problematic.

What I do find Highly Problematic, is the drivel that is on the air during primetime on MTV. What are the children and teenagers watching? The Hills. Drivel. The Real World. Has become Drivel. Made. Terrible. America’s Next Top Model. Drivel. Of all of the prime time shows, I’ve only had the stomach to watch one: My Super Sweet Sixteen. Drivel doesn’t even sum it up. Try spoiled, spoiled, bratty, spoiled, whiney, yuppie children getting whatever they want. What are we teaching our children that is OK? I just hope that the powers-that-be don’t decide to market the “stupid spoiled whore video playset” and can’t keep it on the shelves at Toys R’Us at Christmastime.

No comments: