Sunday, September 23, 2007

Have you ever had something keep nagging at you . . .

I was with our esteemed Captain of the Blog when he discovered the extremely reasonably priced caskets at Costco.

I mean sure, the price was great, and you can pick up a tray or two of snacks for after the funeral, and maybe a bag of ice and some pop for the graveyard service, but how do you buy the damned casket!?

Do they have them in the back or do you preorder? If you preorder, how long does it take for delivery? Because every time I've seen someone need to buy a casket, there was usually an immediate need to put something in it.

Do they deliver or do you have to pull the van up to the loading dock?

You see how problematic this is getting.

Furthermore, every funeral I've been involved in arranging (NOT a fun job) has started with going to a funeral director. Those people have a tendancy to be like restaurants. You don't get to buy a steak at Costco and ask the restaurant to cook it.

So that makes me think that if you start down the do-it-yourself road, you'll have to go the entire trip, and my embalming skills are just not what they ought to be.

No comments: